Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Behind the Wire: An Insider's Reflections on Gitmo (Daniel Lakemacher)

Conscientious objector Daniel Lakemacher takes us through his journey from being a dehumanized pawn at Guantanimo to becoming a heroic antiwar activist:

After having been deployed for six months as a member of the medical team assigned to the detainee population at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, I can easily say that Gitmo is the most hate-filled place I have ever experienced. The animosity I felt in the "camps" on a daily basis was almost palpable, and it often required a very conscious effort to not escalate the hostility.

Because of the powerful emotions involved, it has taken me more than a year to finally identify the key factors that prevented me from previously being able to question the justification of Gitmo. During the six months in which I saw other human beings confined to cages, I began to undertake an intense study of the concepts of liberty and natural rights. Over the course of the year that followed, this investigation led me to the whole-hearted conviction that war is immoral. Amazingly, even after such a distinct transformation, it took still more time to apply my new understanding to my own role in Gitmo.

Read the rest

No comments: