Tuesday, March 3, 2009

So...you are staying in the States (Wendy McElroy)

Wendy McElroy provides some useful information that will help those of us stuck in the U.S. to survive the police state:

Wendy McElroyA considerable number of people have emailed to ask me a question re: my recent blog post Leave the Police state that is America. In one form or another, the question has been "where else is any better?" I have no answer. Or, rather, without knowing the personal circumstances of the questioner, I can't say. A quick and dirty answer is "any place that speaks English, other than the UK." Personally, if I had to relocate today, I would look at various venues in South America. But, happily, I intend to ride out the next few years on my farm in rurual Ontario. For a variety of reasons, Canada will weather the economic storms far better than the U.S.. Moreover, it has some social factors that I value highly; for example, per capita, it imprisons far, far fewer of its inhabitants than the U.S. and it is not paranoid about immigration. On the other hand, if you are a member of the gun culture, Canada is still more restrictive than the States; it is, after all, a government and,preferring one State over another is like taking your pick of diseases. But such are the choices available. As to where you should prefer, well, like I said...where to go depends on who you are and what you are seeking.

I'd rather discuss what those who value their personal freedom can do if they decide to remain in the U.S. because most people I know will make that choice...and I honestly wish them well. Perhaps the best way to provide insight is to tell some stories about friends from the decade I lived in Los Angeles, which was a wild and wonderful period of time.

Read the rest, and also see So...you are staying in the States, Part II, as well as her response to critics that say she is too hard on the police.

UPDATE: Also Part 3 and Part 4.

UPDATE 2: And now there's a Part 5!

No comments: