Saturday, May 24, 2008

The Virtue of Starvation (Butler Shaffer)

Butler Shaffer on where the road of statism leads:

If I had any inclinations for gambling, I would head for Las Vegas and bet all I own that most of mankind will, given the opportunity, support the most idiotic and fantastic propositions over any objections grounded in reasoned analysis. As humanity – particularly from its most highly-educated precincts – continued to increase my winnings, I would be heard telling the house to "let it ride!"

Our tendencies for dull-wittedness are fostered by the uncertain and unpredictable nature of a complex world. For reasons that go beyond survival needs, we have a fear of the unknown, and are easily taken in by our self-generated delusions as well as by those who promise us protection from menacing forces.

Read the rest

No comments: